Followers

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Nationalism

Salam!

Bismillah



Shaykh bin Baz (rahimahullah) said regarding the evils of nationalism, "Indeed, Islaam has forbidden the calls of the Days of Ignorance (jaahiliyyah). There are many textual evidences that forbid all of the characteristics and deeds of these times of Ignorance, except for those (good) practices, which Islaam has condoned. And from that which there is no doubt of, is that the call to NATIONALISM is indeed one of these calls of Jaahiliyyah. This is because nationalism is a call to something other than Islaam and a support for something other than the truth. And how many crimes, evils and severe wars has such calls of Jaahiliyyah brought about upon the people, causing great harm to their souls, their wealth and their possessions. The consequences of such calls was a break in their (Muslim) unity, a harvesting of Enmity and Hatred for one another, in their hearts, and a splitting between them into tribes and nations!" (Taken from one of his beneficial books Naqd Al-Qawmiyyat-ul- ‘Arabiyyah (pp.39-44), which is a treatise refuting Arab nationalism.)

[both of these were taken from taraummomar.blogspot.com]

As a revert from America, I really don't understand the whole Nationalism thing. I mean yeah, America is cool and all, but I wouldn't ever consider someone a higher priority in my life just because they are from here or from my culture.

I see this kind of behavior a lot in Muslims that I have met. They want to marry someone from their "motherland." These people are Pakistani, African, Arab, Indian, you name it we got it. While I understand that it is good to keep your culture intact, I think that our MOST important and COMMON culture should be Islam, right? Isn't Islam what is most important to us all?

If we say that some people aren't eligible for us because they aren't from our culture or nation, isn't this making forbidden what Allah subhanu wa ta'ala made lawful for us? Isn't it true that we can pick spouses from all of the believers and that we are only different in levels of piety?

I think that nationalism is just a poor excuse for racism. A cover up. A sham.

Anyway just a thought...

6 comments:

Majda said...

Agreed. Agreed. Agreeeeeeed.

I'm sorta having to deal with nationalism. It sucks a lot.

NeverEver said...

Dear Majda, it seems as if we have more in common than Beirut my dear...

Hope it all works out for you!

Fikerz said...

You said I write well?!

You hit the spot! So true, Nationalism and Islam are oxymoronic.

On the other hand, I am one of those people who would rather marry a desi girl verses a non-desi. Why? Because its easier. I think its too much of a hassle to marry a spouse of a different culture, the food, the clothing, the traditions and rituals, the fun, the bad, the good, the taboo, the manners, all of it.

I think it depends on your attachment to your culture. I'm not a die hard desi or anything, but I do value my culture and find it meaningful in my life, so maybe its just me.

I often find people with the exact opposite attidute, that they will marry anyone, so long as they are Muslim. By all means, go ahead, but from what I have seen and heard in my 14 years of life (lol), it doesn't work a lot of the time.

*I guess I'm being very judgmental but I do think that is somewhat true.

Anyway! Nice blog! Hope you keep reading mine, I plant to do the same.

P.S. My name is Faique, you can call me Muslim Kid or MK.

-The Muslim Kid-

NeverEver said...

@ MK: Yeah I understand the "easier" part for sure. I just don't like the attitude of "oh I CAN'T marry anyone who isn't [insert race or nationality here]" that some people have. I mean really... sometimes God has plans that are bigger than yours.

I will keep checking by your blog for sure, inshaAllah!

Unknown said...

As salaamu 'alaikum wa RahmatULLAHI wa Barakatuhu,

Well said, Sis! I think it is especially different as reverts because we don't have much cultural baggage. In time I hope that nationalism fades and we all come to love each other for the sake of ALLAH again, InshaALLAH.


Take care,
Wa Salaam,
Nakia

NeverEver said...

Nakia: Wa alaikum asalam wa Rahmatullah wa Barakatu,
Yes, I guess I do see it much less in reverts...
Yes inshaAllah it will fade, and I hope soon as well as it is better for us all if it does.
Thanks for the comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Awards :-D