Followers

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Ma'amoul it is!

Salam!

Bismillah

So HERE is how I made the ma'amoul. I wasn't completely satisfied with the recipe, so next time I make it I will modify a little, inshaAllah. Traditionally this is made with a really cool wooden mold, but I don't have one so I just shaped them in my hand and decorated with a fork. Oh and you need to start it the night before!!

INGREDIENTS
Cookie:
1/2 cup shortening
8 tbsp butter
1 cup flour
2 cup semolina
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar (next time I will use a little more)
2 tbsp rose water (next time I will use 1 tbsp rose water, 8 tbsp regular water)
7 tbsp water
(next time I hope to add black seed or mahlab to the dough)

Filling:
1 1/2 cup chopped dates
5 tbsp butter (next time I will use 3 or 3.5 tbsp butter)
(Cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes mashing occasionally, cool before filling. Be careful to not cook too long because it makes the dates tough and gives it a kind of *burned* taste when the butter starts to brown.)

This is what it looks like when you start cooking. I did NOT like the amount of butter in this recipe at this point and next time will use only 3 or 3.5 tbsp butter here.

DAY ONE
~melt shortening and butter together and cool a little
~mix flour, semolina, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a bowl
~add melted shortening and butter, mix thoroughly (it should be a little sandy feeling)
~cover with plastic wrap and rest overnight


DAY TWO
~make filling
~add rose water and water mixture to the dough and combine with a fork
~take the filling and make small rolled balls


~mold cookies by wrapping in a layer of the dough and then making marks on top with a fork if you want


~bake at 300-325F until the top is slightly brown (the time varries WIDELY depending on the amount of dough and size of each cookie) If you aren't sure if it's cooked, reach in a squish one. If it is still doughy, it isn't done!

This is what they look like before they go in the oven.

~you can add powdered sugar to the top if you want

DONE! :D

I hope this is clear!! Let me know if you have questions or if you tried it!!!

5 comments:

Majda said...

Nom nom! I love it. ;D

Sunni Hijabi said...

Asalaam wa alaykum,

That looks and sounds delicious! We are having a bake sale at my masjid, and maybe I can make this. I will be sure to print out your recipe if I do use it and give it to others to share! :D

Maryam said...

cool, I never heard of Ma'amoul before.

Hajar Alwi said...

Assalamualaikum,

Your ma'amoul looks so good!!! I love them so much but I always think that it takes too much time [and effort] to make them!!! How many do these make?

Insha'Allah, I'll find the time to do this. Your directions are definitely more clear than the ones I've read before this.

NeverEver said...

Salam Majda~ Lol, you crack me up

Wa alaikum assalam Nisa~ MMM bake sale sounds fun! These might be a little labor intensive for a bake sale, but maybe still fun to get a bit group of girls together to make!

Salam Maryam~ you should give them a go! They are pretty tasty...

Wa alaikum assalam Hajar~ I made 17, but they were really rather large. The original recipe I adapted from said it would make about 25. I think if you have a mold it makes a big difference in the number that comes out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Awards :-D