Followers

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Liberty, Freedom!

Salam!

Bismillah

One day a couple weeks ago I was at Wal-Mart. I was in the produce section.

As I was walking by the peaches, I saw a little white haired Old Lady looking at me. She looked very Republican, lol, and as is my usual course of action, I gave her a big 'ol southern smile and went on about my business.

So I rounded the corner to get some parsley. I was either making falafel or burgers... anyway the parsley was necessary. As I'm calmly choosing my leafy greens I hear someone whispering behind me.

I don't really pay any attention because really... who cares what people whisper? Then my friend looks at me and goes... uh... I think she's talking to you. I was like what? Who? Huh?

I look over and who do I see but Old Lady, camped out next to the squash section, whispering (lol) "liberty... freedom... liberty... freedom..." gazing intently at my abaya and hijab covered self.

?!?!?

Don't you think that harassing me in the produce section of my local grocery store is a violation of my freedom and liberty?!?

Ugh... it seems they want us to be "liberated"... but only as long as it's THEIR kind of freedom.

8 comments:

Maryam said...

Salaam!

I haven't been over here in a long time. How are you. You should really get one of those chat box things for your blog.

.::Tuttie::. said...

that is usually how it goes. They tried to liberate you by forcing you to conform to their views. Its pretty ironic if you think about it.

Amber said...

The best part is she was whispering it at you like an incantation, like it was going to make you *poof*! or something... :)

Stacy K. said...

Trying to protect herself from all your extra cloth. Like she might have been sucked in to your abaya tentacles!

Banana Anne said...

:P :P :P

Man, stuff like this is so common I'm not even shocked by it anymore. Alhamdulillah, I have not had anything like this happen to me, but I am very sorry that you had to experience this. You can at least take comfort in the fact that Muslims aren't the only people this woman would do it to; I'm sure that if an Orthodox Jewish woman, a Mennonite woman, a Desi woman in traditional clothes, or an obviously recent immigrant walked by, she would have done the same routine.

NeverEver said...

Maryam: Wa alaikum salam sis, I'm glad you stopped by! :-D Just for you, ishaAllah I will try to add one of those chat things.

Tuttie: yeah... it is almost painfully ironic. Alhamdulillah I love my life and I feel incredibly fulfilled. It just goes to show that no matter what we do, the non-believers will never be happy with us.

Amber: I know!!! That is exactly what it was like, too. It was a little bit creepy...

Stacy: I just got this really cool image of Urusula in Hijab, HAHAHA

Anne: Yeah I think you are right. Alhamdulillah I'm glad that I can find some humor in the situation, because really it is just very sad...

xoxo, nadia said...

Assalam alaykum

the fact that it was an old little lady made it seem a little humorous though I'm pretty sure the situation wasn't.

Kinda sad when discrimination/ ignorance exists in all generations. I mean, I would feel angry if it was a teenager or a burly man shouting abuse at me but to have a lady whisper me to freedom is just....sad (no other word for it!)

hope you didn't feel too sad for long after that.

Altitude said...

got the same freedom thing today from the math teacher
lol
Rubber

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Awards :-D